Our mission is to empower children and their families through health and wellness care and education so they can achieve self-reliance and a positive future.
We believe that health influences children's success and that good health is more effectively achieved through family and community involvement.
We are happy to participate in Shared Beat’s, Cook to Share Challenge. We were introduced to this organization by our dear friend, Dr. Ellen Sutherland Freeman, who has volunteered for several Mission Trips to Guatemala, and is now on the Board of Directors of Shared Beat. Advocating for children has been an essential part of both of our lives. It is easy to support an organization that directly helps children in poverty with minimal access to medical care and additionally provides scholarships to locals to become healthcare workers in their own community. Now we challenge you to watch our video! If it makes you smile, please consider a donation of $10. If you laugh out loud, how about $25? If you think, “those two are crazy!” and re-watch it several times, then maybe $50 or more?? We will be grateful for whatever you are able to donate during these difficult times, and we hope we cheered up your day!
Donate = VOTE for Jenifer Jarriel and Jayne Finkowski-Rivera
Momma’s Carrot Cake
This is a family favorite dessert. You can make it with or without nuts, and tastes great with or without frosting. It also is a sneaky way to get your kids to eat vegetables! The only update we made to the recipe is to use a food processor to finely chop the carrots. Grating the carrots was quite a job and almost always ended up with a shredded knuckle or finger, which we decided was not an essential part of the process.
Ingredients for the Cake
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 TSP baking soda
- 1 TSP salt
- 2 ½ TSP cinnamon
- 2 ½ TSP vanilla
- 3 cups finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts work well (optional)
- Place oil and sugar into a large mixing bowl on your stand mixer. Combine well, then add in each of the eggs individually.
- Using a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add vanilla, carrots and nuts (if using), then blend well.
- Set oven temperature to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a standard Bundt pan.
- Pour cake batter into Bundt pan taking care not to overfill the pan.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes, then turn out cake onto the rack to finish cooling.
- Frost with cream cheese icing once cake has cooled (unless the family has devoured the cake already)
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 of an 8 oz package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 TBLS (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 TSP vanilla
- Place the cream cheese into a medium size bowl on your stand mixer. Beat the cream cheese, then add the butter, mixing for about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar, then the vanilla, until fully combined.
- Pipe or frost your cake. We just put frosting into a plastic bag, then cut off a corner to make our piping bag. Decorate your cake, and use any leftover frosting for other desserts or immediate consumption.
|Donor||Donation Amount||Donation Date||Comment|
|heidi ramirez||$100.00||7/31/2020||If Lucy and Ethel (of I Love Lucy) had a cooking show and a mission... Too funny and a great cause. (And thanks to RDM for sharing.) Bueno suerte!!|
|Robin and Harry Bruns||$100.00||7/29/2020||Y’all are too funny! ??|
|Diane Grady||$26.25||6/23/2020||Lucy and Ethel are back!|
|Vincent Mogas||$100.00||6/20/2020||You are too much fun.|
|Anonymous Donor||$52.50||6/18/2020||Donation made by my cousin Audrey Finkowski|
|Judy Romero||$50.00||6/15/2020||Good luck Jayne and Jen! Love the video!|
|Carlos J Rivera||$442.00||6/14/2020||Best damn carrot cake evah!|
|Zita Witte||$82.50||6/12/2020||I loved the video and I know the cake is delicious.|
|Morven Edwards||$100.00||6/11/2020||You two certainly cheered up my day! Great cause and happy to contribute.|
|Carol Baker||$100.00||6/11/2020||The video is perfect. I may have to take up baking!|
|Adam Supgul||$25.00||6/11/2020||The cake looks great! Thanks for sharing.|
|Tim Porea||$75.00||6/10/2020||Wondered how carrot cake was going to make us laugh. It worked!|
|Wilfred LeBlanc||$25.00||6/10/2020||Whoo Hooo!|
|Anonymous Donor||$55.00||6/9/2020||How can I not donate?? You guys might be onto something...thanks for sharing. Made my day! ??Holly|
|Julianna Crowe||$10.00||6/9/2020||Loved the video and recipe!|
|Reggie Clarkson||$115.00||6/9/2020||Great video....you all are terrific! I wanna be your agent.|
|Michael & Leigh Cogan||$110.00||6/5/2020|
|Alex Jones||$100.00||6/1/2020||Fun! Great work!|
|Marie Berkenkamp||$25.00||5/31/2020||OK, You did make me laugh. Love the video and the challenge.|
|* offline donation|