Together in Hope envisions a world where children don't go hungry, where children can go to school, where parents can afford to give their children a future and where children don't die of curable illnesses. Together in Hope believes that if we all work together, together in hope that we can make this world a reality and give those living in poverty a future with hope.
Together in Hope works with some of the world's poorest communities living in the Philippines, El Salvador and Ethiopia who have been forgotten by international development organizations. We work with these communities to help them break the cycle of poverty and give them a future with hope.
Hi, my name is Diane McGehee. I am a free woman, pastor, attorney, wife, mother, grandmother, and modern day abolitionist.
I NEED YOUR HELP!
I am running the Gay 10K as part of celebrating my 60th year of life and to accomplish 2 goals:
1. Get myself back in shape by running a series of races throughout the year; and
2. Raise enough money to make a serious dent in the fight against human trafficking by running a series of races - this is the second race in the series and my team members and I are hoping to raise $600,000 over the year. Our goal for this race, as a team, is $150,000. My personal goal for this race is $20,000. I run free. I run healthy. But, there are millions of girls (and boys) who are trapped in sex and labor trafficking nightmares who will never run free if we don't do something. Why run the Gay10K? For at least two reasons: solidarity with the LGBTQ community as a way of celebrating each person's worth as made in the image of God and beautiful and sacred as they are regardless of their sexual orientation AND BECAUSE LGBTQ YOUTH ARE A HIGH-RISK GROUP FOR BEING TRAFFICKED. Each year, thousands of young people across the country become homeless, and LGBTQ youth account for a disproportionate share of the runaway and homeless youth population. Although LGBTQ individuals only account for 3-4 % of the population, they account for up to 40% of the runaway and homeless youth population. It is estimated that 26% of LGBTQ adolescents are rejected by their families and put out of their homes for no other reason than being open about who they are. Once on the streets, they face a significant chance of becoming victims of human trafficking. More people are enslaved today than at any point in human history, and LGBTQ youth are being trapped in sexual slavery at alarming levels. These are God's precious kid's and they deserve better. Let's set them free. Please donate as generously as you can, or join the team and run or walk with us. Working Together in Hope, we can make a difference.
Six hundred thousand dollars over 4 races is an audacious goal, but it is not an impossible one - not if we all do our part. A few weeks ago, my children took me to see Kung Fu Panda 3 - a great children's movie, with a great message: if we all do what we can and do it together (in hope), we can overcome the most heinous evil. Yes - even the evil of human trafficking. You can run with me for their freedom by donating. (Who knows maybe we might even be able to get Jack Black to help us if he hears about this.J)
Here is what I am asking of each of you: join the team and help raise funds while you get in shape or give $60 in honor of my 60th birthday and then ask all of your friends on Facebook and your email lists and on Instagram or wherever, to do the same. If you or they can give more than $60, then give a multiple of $60: $120, $180 or even $6000. If we get 10,000 people over the year to give $60 each, we will raise $600,000 - wouldn't that be awesome?! We can do this, if we all work Together in Hope.
I am not getting a penny of it. Here is where it will go - to help local victims, to help international victims, and to work for tougher laws against those who traffick human beings. Together in Hope will distribute the money three ways:
· 1/3 to Agape International Missions (AIM) in Cambodia, (fighting human trafficking on the international front) agapewebsite.org
· 1/3 to YMCA International (rescuing victims in the U.S.) https://www.ymcahouston.org/ymca-international/programs/
· 1/3 to Children At Risk (working for tougher laws to fight trafficking and to help victims) www.childrenatrisk.org
Please give as generously as you can. Working Together in Hope, we change lives . Thank you in advance for your generosity!
|Donor||Donation Amount||Donation Date||Comment|
|Kelley Lang||$300.00||11/20/2016||Diane - I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to walk in this one. However, I've spread the donation link to several friends for donations & I've made mine. Good luck! Kelley|
|The Gay 10K||$700.00*||10/14/2016||Congratulations and thank you for participating in The Gay 10K Charity Challenge.|
|Elizabeth Tatum||$60.00||9/23/2016||Happy birthday year, my sweet sister in Christ! Your determination to serve "the least of these" is so inspiring! We can transform the world with God' s help!|
|Anonymous Donor||$100.00||9/23/2016||Run Diane, Run|
|E s Turley||$60.00||9/22/2016||So proud of you|
|Renato C Santos||$60.00||9/22/2016|
|Tanya Aynessazian||$105.09||9/22/2016||I love you Diane!!|
|Nelda Brooks||$66.00||9/19/2016||Good luck, Dianne. Thank you so much for running for this important cause.|
|Maria Korn-Michael||$52.50||9/14/2016||I hope you have an easy, meaningful run, Diane! This donation is in honor of my cousin, Julie Koves and her partner, Susan Kowalski, who will be getting married on September 17 and run free as two beautiful lesbian women!|
|Anonymous Donor||$100.00||9/12/2016||Have. Great race!|
|Carissa Baldwin||$300.00||8/10/2016||Happy Birthday, Diane! I feel the power of your story. Good luck with your goal!!! God be with you. Carissa|
|First UMC Somerville||$60.00*||7/31/2016|
|Hannah Terry||$10.00||7/13/2016||Love you, Diane!|
|* offline donation|